Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Teacher Seminar

Today I will talk about solving mathematical problems in a seminar for (high school) teachers in Jakarta. The attendance will be teachers from all over Jabodetabek (Greater Jakarta). I still do not know how many are going to be there but I hope the number of people is just enough. This is the first time I talk about this topic. I choose this topic because I have heard that teachers from high school would be interested.  My main resource for this talk is no other than the legendary book by Polya 1957. In the first part I will be talking about the general strategy when solving mathematical problems. And in the second part I will be solving a few (difficult enough) mathematical problems using the strategy explained in the first part.

Although my major is not in mathematical education, I am a bit interested in teaching and training and preparing students to go for a mathematical competition. My ultimate and greatest achievement is to train my student to get to international mathematics Olympiad whether it is in high school level or it is in university level.

Anyway, I have one hour before the seminar is started. Lets have a lunch first.


No comments: