Wednesday, May 16, 2012

First time in Universitas Gadjah Mada


This was another conference I participated. This time I contributed something, I brought a presentation and try to publish it in this conference's proceeding. The title of this conference is International Symposium in Computational Science. This was the fifth time this conference was held. To my surprise, even though the symposium is about computational but the participant were from Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics and even Chemistry. We all need a computational skill and we brought the computational issues in this conference. I myself tried to disseminate and perhaps publish one of my students works in this Conference. The participants of this conference were from few universities. Most of the participants were from Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB), Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM) and Kanazawa University. Why? Because this meeting was initiated by these three universities.

Talking about the city of Jogjakarta, last time I was here was more than 6 years ago. The city of Jogjakarta has many universities and Indonesia calls the city of Jogjakarta as the city of culture and education. This city is bigger that any general cities in Indonesia but is relatively smaller than Bandung or Surabaya. The weather is very very hot for me, even though there had some raining when I was there.

Universitas Gadjah Mada was one of the Indonesia's top universities in Indonesia, other than Universitas Indonesia (UI) and ITB. Department of Mathematics in UGM is a big department, that is exactly opposite in UPH. If we only have 6 lecturers they have 60 lecturers. To my surprise, I know some of them and I know them well. It is a good opportunity for me to have a collaboration with them some day.

Overall, I like to be in this symposium. This symposium was a two day symposium but I found that many people still struggle in their computational issues. I managed to befriend with someone from Physics who is experts in Gnuplot. I should follow up by keeping in contact with him.

No comments: